Board index Level Zero Games Off Topic Related Games!

Related Games!

For any non-LZG chatter.

Post Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:36 pm
Admin User avatar
Site Admin

Net Gain draws inspiration from many brilliant games across genres and time! Whether it's a great cyberpunk title, or deep strategy, or simple inspires the same kind of play or reaction, these are games any Net Gain fan might enjoy!

Pen and Paper:
  • Shadowrun
  • Corporation
  • Cyberpunk 2020

Video Games:
  • Deus Ex
  • Syndicate
  • Shadowrun (NES, Genesis, the new Kickstarter games)
  • Ruthless.com
  • Covert Action
  • Dwarf Fortress
  • Kings of Dragon Pass
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Floor 13
  • Watch Dogs
  • Cyberpunk 2077

What other games do you think a Net Gain fan would like?
President - Developer
Level Zero Games

Post Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:09 pm

I would be wary of getting the right Shadowrun! The most recent incarnation of the title is a travesty!

The rest are fantastic suggestions, but I could also recommend the following:

Deus Ex (all are superb and very cyberpunk/espionage themed) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deus_Ex
Floor 13 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floor_13_(video_game)
Syndicate (not the recent shooter!) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syndicate_(video_game)
I'm British, and thus fuelled by tea! Naturally!

Post Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:23 pm

We have been compared to Ruthless.com (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Clancy's_ruthless.com) before, I really like that one.

And honestly, I actually liked the latest Shadowrun! There! I said it! Just take the Shadowrun name off it and you've actually got a fun little team shooter with a tight community. I still actually own it for exactly that reason.

You covered most of the good ones. Watch Dogs, is up there. Not out yet but worth paying close attention to.

http://youtu.be/xU7WGAJPRRw
Level Zero Games Staff | Writer | Video Guy
"We are all made of star stuff." -Carl Sagan
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." -Gandalf

Post Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:11 am
Admin User avatar
Site Admin

Ha! I actually like 4E! That was the first time I actually got to organize some fantastic games, instead of just longingly reading over the rulebooks. Being more approachable meant I could introduce more of my newbie friends to the game! On that note, while they really shouldn't have used the Syndicate name, if you look at it as a new cyberpunk IP, the Syndicate shooter has some pros: beautiful aesthetic, some good writing tucked in the background, good sound design... but yeah, it ain't Syndicate.

The list is woefully incomplete (forgot to put Kings of Dragon Pass on there!), but yes, those are all spot-on! How could I forget Deus Ex! It's like... THE game!
President - Developer
Level Zero Games

Post Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:07 am

I have never heard of Ruthless...I may have to go on a net hunt for that one!

I absolutely agree that the new incarnations of Syndicate and Shadowrun are fun and have their own merits - but as you say, they should probably have never been allowed to get close to using those brand names for their products!

Watch Dogs looks freaking awesome in all honesty, that's a must purchase for me when the time comes.

If we're going down a slightly less cyberpunk espionage theme, we could always look at games like Metal Gear Solid...

Post Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:53 pm

Admin wrote:
Ha! I actually like 4E! That was the first time I actually got to organize some fantastic games, instead of just longingly reading over the rulebooks. Being more approachable meant I could introduce more of my newbie friends to the game! On that note, while they really shouldn't have used the Syndicate name, if you look at it as a new cyberpunk IP, the Syndicate shooter has some pros: beautiful aesthetic, some good writing tucked in the background, good sound design... but yeah, it ain't Syndicate.

The list is woefully incomplete (forgot to put Kings of Dragon Pass on there!), but yes, those are all spot-on! How could I forget Deus Ex! It's like... THE game!

Preeeetty sure we're talking about the Fasa Xbox version of Shadowrun, dogg. ^_^ But 4e was fun.
The Syndicate shooter had questionable writing in my opinion. The bad guy needs to stay bad.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." -Gandalf

Post Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:08 pm
Admin User avatar
Site Admin

Actually I hadn't heard of Ruthless.com until my Kickstarter launched! One of Joe's friends pointed out he similarity, and somehow despite my extensive research for similar games I totally missed it. Going to be hard to find a playable given it's 15 years old now, but I'm on the hunt as well!

I was so excited when I saw Watch Dogs! It's basically Person of Interest: The Game, which is fantastic.

MGS *is* a pretty good one as well, though (IMHO) the story gets way too wacky and the nanomachines feel too much like magic. If they weren't PS3 exclusives I'd probably still give the franchise the occasional play.

Yeah I had written the post but didn't get around to putting it up until after you! But ye, the 360 game was an okay team shooter, and an awful "shadowrun" game, but now we've got the great Awakening for their anniversary with a whole storm of shadowrun games coming back! video, PnP, card, board, and whatever else.
President - Developer
Level Zero Games

Post Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:51 pm

http://www.amazon.com/Tom-Clancys-Ruthless-com-pc/dp/B00002SVYA

If you're interested still for whatever reason!

Post Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:52 am

I can't believe they're still charging $11 for that!

It makes Net Gain look very underpriced. ;)

Post Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:40 am

Well apparently it's hard to find! It's not on GOG, that I can tell. I haven't dug THAT deep but cest la vie.

I really liked the Steam Mod Dystopia if we're talking cyberpunky games. And NeoTokyo!

Next

Return to Off Topic