Board index Net Gain Net Gain: Corporate Espionage The F.A.Q. and Q&A

The F.A.Q. and Q&A

Near Future Corporate Espionage!

Post Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:07 pm
Admin User avatar
Site Admin

Ask your questions here! I'll get around to answering them, and if certain things come up often enough I'll add the question to the FAQ below.

F.A.Q

Is there multiplayer?

Net Gain 1.0 does not have traditional multiplayer.

It's about you, rising to the top at the expense of all others! I would like to offer some pseudo-multiplayer options, though, such as sharing game-saves to play in someone else's world.
It's not entirely out of the question for some future expansion, and I am designing with the possibility of adding multiplayer in mind, but the current build is focused on making the single player a rich gameplay experience and adding multiplayer is far out of the project's current scope.

Is there modding?

My first goal is to make the game. It's still early to be talking about mods, but the game is built with most of the content exposed in data files, so it'll be easier to make mods when it comes time. I am *all* about involving the community in the development and growth of the game and setting, and after the core game is built I will do what I can to encourage modding and community involvement!

Is there localisation?

Sadly I cannot promise any localisation right now.
I'm just one (English-speaking) guy, but I would definitely like to get the game in as many languages as there are fans! The data is all in files so that will be easier to localise and could be opened to the fans, but I haven't built any such systems for the rest of the GUI yet. It's something I will be adding but it wont be in for the prototype release and I'm not sure if it fits in the schedule for 1.0. If there's a large fanbase that wants the game localised to their language, we'll figure out how to make it happen!
President - Developer
Level Zero Games

Post Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:08 pm
Admin User avatar
Site Admin

[reserved]
President - Developer
Level Zero Games

Post Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:08 pm
Admin User avatar
Site Admin

[reserved]
President - Developer
Level Zero Games

Post Fri May 10, 2013 11:04 pm

How open-ended is the game? Can you get away with ignoring the main storyline?

Post Sat May 18, 2013 2:58 pm
Admin User avatar
Site Admin

You can ignore it entirely! The game is primarily about the open ended game, the storyline(s) just give you a more dramatic story that explores some of the deepest secrets of the Net Gain universe...
Think of it like the story in Uplink: it's integrated into the game's open systems, and you can take it or leave it.
President - Developer
Level Zero Games

Post Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:30 am

So, I am loving the prototype, although it is rather rough around the edges still. It feels like once the interface has been smoothed out, the collapsing panels will start to become very intuitive.

But some questions, just at the moment:

Are assets, once stolen, automatically assigned to an appropriate corporation, or do I need to do something to sort that out?

What does the 'Gear' number I see popping up in some missions, and on my operative profiles, do?

Do Operatives change their stats at all, or are they static in the prototype?

Thanks, and I love the early thing I'm seeing so far!

Post Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:20 pm

foozzzball wrote:
What does the 'Gear' number I see popping up in some missions, and on my operative profiles, do?

I don't know about anything else, but the way that seems to behave is that when an operative fails at a challenge on a mission, they spend from the Gear stat to buff their score up to a pass, if they have enough Gear to do it. You'll note that you get the notification about Gear whenever your operative's roll is too low to pass, and it becomes given in the form [X+Y] (where X was their roll and Y the Gear spent to bring it up to a pass). So it's a sort of safety net for challenges where they get really unlucky or where nobody was particularly good at the skill required. I guess it's an abstract representation of the pool of equipment the operative takes with them on missions.

Post Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:08 pm
Admin User avatar
Site Admin

That's exactly what gear does! It's the safety net for failed tests, helps when your operatives get off track. Eventually it'll be specific types of gear for specific skills but right now it's just the communal "gear" abstraction. They only have so much during a mission (until the safehouse operations are in, then they can restock on the road!).

The panels themselves are a placeholder for the more permanent interfaces that will arise form those generic menus. Theyr'e on right now until we figure out exactly what the most important data to know is and where the best place to put it is.

Yep! The economy of the corp handles itself withyour focus on missions. you can fiddle with the economy currently, but eventually you'll have to earn that right with influence in your corp. if the corp can use it it slots it, if not it'll sell it off.

currently stats are static, and they don't tend to go up at all (excluding some "cybernetics" gear which is sorta a oneshot improvement. They'll get knocked down in conflicts (what i'm currently building!) and restocked by healing, etc. the main thing ops will improve are their skills (which I might turn on before the next build as well)
President - Developer
Level Zero Games

Return to Net Gain: Corporate Espionage