Board index Net Gain Net Gain: Stories Stories ideas!

Stories ideas!

Near Future Interactive Fiction!

Post Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:09 am

Xaeromancer wrote:
I find myself more focusing on the details, I suppose, the ones less interesting, at least as characters anyway. For example, the pedestrian broker. I mean, anyone could play as some super-involved uber broker, but I find the middle of the road, easily passed-over unassuming guy much more interesting. It's like in Blade Runner. Many people focused on Tyrell and his ambitions/goals, whereas I find J.F. Sebastian much more interesting.

It's a good point! Sebastian was a great character. When I quote blade runner I always end up saying "Your eyes...I...I made your eyes!" in reference to James Hong's character. In Stories the main thing to focus on is momentum since there is not a really robust management system. It's a game about action, and giving people interesting actions to choose from. Having a broker with a unique perspective is a great way to tap into that energy!
Level Zero Games Staff | Writer | Video Guy
"We are all made of star stuff." -Carl Sagan
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." -Gandalf

Post Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:15 am

Part of me desperately wants to create a Net Gain story based on the character of Andrus Poder from Cart Life.
Business is the bottom line.

Post Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:25 am

Xaeromancer wrote:
Part of me desperately wants to create a Net Gain story based on the character of Andrus Poder from Cart Life.

I LOVE CART LIFE. Just got it. I love Mr. Glembovski!
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." -Gandalf

Post Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:42 am

It is by far one of the most depressing, soul-crushing, and stressful games I have ever played. I love it. The music is to die for, too.

Post Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:47 am

It has taught me I know nothing about how to handle money.

Post Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:22 am

Alright, here's an idea I've been mulling, but I don't rightly know if it's even possible. I guess I drew some inspiration from one of the Net Gain promo images, the one where all of the operatives are working and Conrad is trying to sex some woman up for info.

Imagine you're an asset. Not a broker. Not an operative. You are an asset. You have specialized talents in one area, be it access to information of some sort or a particular skill set that makes you unique, but you have little in the way of the far-reaching abilities and ties that comes with the territory of a broker or operative. Put frankly, you're a tool that others use to reach their end goals. How you got to that point could take any number of routes. You could be blackmailed into it, generously paid, honeypotted, whatever. Regardless of how you got sucked in, you begin to realize what you thought was actual value that people put to your life is nothing more than value people put on your abilities as an asset.

You want out. By any means possible, though alive would be the preferable option.

Post Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:44 pm
Admin User avatar
Site Admin

Xaeromancer wrote:
You're an asset. Not a broker. Not an operative. You are an asset.

One of the strengths of stories is it doesn't have to be about brokers at all, it's a place where we can explore ALL the narrative richness of the Net Gain setting, and a story of an asset trying to get out of the system would be perfect!
President - Developer
Level Zero Games

Post Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:12 am

That is a great twist!

Previous

Return to Net Gain: Stories